Monday, July 18, 2011

Thoughts on viewing habits we have changed.

Wow.... sometimes things just seem so obvious and other times it takes awhile to see the obvious. 2 weeks ago we moved the television from the living room to the bedroom. The boys have not been allowed to watch TV pretty much for any reason. On Saturday night Mike rented a movie while Amanda and I were gone and him and the 3 boys really enjoyed watching it. It was so very enjoyed because it has moved from a normal everyday activity to a special activity.

My boys have learned to cooperate much better. We still have some normal children bickering but it has been cut by at least 80% since doing this. I believe the behavior of the people on TV were affecting the behavior of my boys! During the last 2 weeks we have started reading classic books, went on many walks, went to the beach more and enjoy each other so much more than we ever have.

Am I saying blow up your television....NO. What I am saying is that we found by tightly controlling it we have more family harmony, more imagination and more enjoyable time together. It has challenged and stretched me as well as a mom to make sure all three have productive things to do when the others are doing chores or school work. We have also started daily memorization of bible verses. Big big bonus. Think about what takes away from your family and find away to replace it with something meaningful.

Be Blessed.

2 comments:

  1. Our tv isn't hooked up with the converter box, but they are still able to watch movies on it. Maybe we should take some time away from even those. It sounds like it made a very positive affect in your home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really has, I have been quite surprised by the change. We still really do have the normal disagreements but a ton of it left after the 3rd day of having it out of the living room. I will say I am glad I made the change in the summer when it is easier for them to go outside that way they will be out of the habit when the weather gets cold and they are in more. :)

    ReplyDelete